Finally, we are entering the month of December where the kids are wilder, the weather's wetter, and the mothers suffer. There is an air of festivity in my household nowadays. The obvious difference between a normal day and a day like today is the blinking noise. Among those that add to my exasperation, the PS2 is the worse, emitting that famous star wars theme behind all the blasting and explosion as the young padawans (cousins and my brother) flirt with danger with Lord Vader and his 501st battalion. Note that the concoction of this nature can only mean one thing - trouble. Adding to that dangerous mix are the approaching examinations.
Usually, as witnessed in recent years, I would be all too glad to slouch around like the lazy bugger that I am when December comes around. But this time around, lets just say that Christmas isn't the only event that's around the corner. YEss, the bloody battlefield of the examinations are looming ahead.
Equation: cousins + brother + Noisy, addictive star wars game + my exams + football madness + online games + grandparents visit = DANGER
Funny, cause "exams" and "battle" are as correlated in my mind as Christmas and that 'around the corner' cliche. There are actually efforts by some good hearted scribes I've encountered in many a magazine, to shed light upon the good side of exams- if they have any- but without much success. Despite this, I remain adamantly unbowed and hold on to my belief that exams are a pain in the arse. Then again, maybe treating them as battles- decorating my face with war paint, sharpening my spear, wetting my pants- isn't really the best way to face one. Too late to change the skewed perspective angle though.
To be exact, there are only 10 days left for me to pull up my pants and get cooking, and those 24s are dwindling much faster than I would like them to. What perturbs me the most is the fact that I would fumble and fall. I know I've been through enough exams to know I'm more than capable of avoiding pressing the self-explode/panic/parachute & eject button, but complacency has been nagging me throughout the semester. And I suspect that the deciding factor for this battle is going to be my resolve and whether if it can withstand the pressure from distractions and procrastination.
Against the backdrop of kids shouting in agony as their stormtrooper attempts a failed kamikaze strike, this is me, as determined as ever to bury my procrastination ghost, signing off.
No comments:
Post a Comment