International Women's Day started off in the early 20th Century with palpable political overtones. The socialist movement prompted countries such as Russia, China and other countries from the Soviet bloc back then to adopt this day as a public holiday. Well, I do not boast to be a feminist activist of any kind, but for the sake of recognising the role women's played in my life, I think some form of acknowledgement is in order.
From the cane-wielding warm-hearted dragon, to the ghost that drifts about in undated memories, to the flurry of past romances, to the tireless, determined colleagues with whom I've worked, girl power is ever-present in my life thus far. They do what us guys do, only leaving out the physically demanding stuff. That, they more than make up by causing your head to swirl with delight (when you fall head over heels for one), forcing the strongest of men to do the dishes +take out the trash and making the world a better place to live in by just being beautiful :P. Despite their contributions, outdated thinking, archaic religious laws, the set-in-stone social mindset and strict traditions are preventing many women from achieving their maximum capacity. A recent example would be the protests against a conference held back home.
I play no substantial part in the feminist movement, meaning you won't find me marching with women's rights activist under a picket, braving the infamous chemical-laced water jets from our own red-headed army. I am more of a sympathizer for the movement, you see.
A special tribute to the dragon:
I owe her- as much as the total amount of rice I've consumed since birth- for grooming me to become who I am today. She is my voice of reason and although being so far away from her has dampened relations somewhat, she is still the woman whom I respect and love the most. I blame her not for my flaws, but hold her in high admiration for what she has sacrificed for the family.
To the females I know who according to the "International Women's Day" site, do 2/3 of the world's work but receive only 10% of the world's pay (Dubious statistics..but then again, if the "work" includes housework... I've got nothing to say :P). To family (immediate and distant), friends, once upon a time acquaintances:

No comments:
Post a Comment