It looks pretty on the top, but when you flip it over, to your chagrin, you discover that the bottom's burnt!! You didn't even smell the burn because you had your nostrils trained to the orange juice you were sipping. You realize that it is inedible and the only suitable place for this is in the bin. Reluctantly, you chuck it into the plastic bag.
Now, if we look at things in retrospect, we will be able to dissect a few key points from this episode. You can choose to focus on the good parts, in this case, the up-facing side of the pancake; OR you could choose to remember the reason why you had to throw the pancake away. Then when you wonder why it got burnt, you remember your orange juice. "Why oh, why did you have to drink that strong-scented juice drink while frying your pancake?" you ask yourself. As a last resort, you then question the reason why that orange juice was even your choice of drink.
I ask myself, does the drink even matter? Would I have changed anything if I somehow manage to pull off a Hiro Nakamura to prevent myself from drinking orange juice, or as a matter of fact, from ANY sort of beverage that would impede my sense of smell during that time.
The answer I have given myself time and time again was: "yes, this would not happen if i didn't do this, and if i didn't do that".
I'd like to point out here that everyone is a professor, scientist and actuary on hindsight. Anyone can go "Oh dude, you shouldn't have made that turn" after your car got smashed. That said, I'm going to provide myself a fair and unbiased judgment because I shouldn't have allowed my clingy tendencies and approval of romanticism (or rather, disillusionment) to shroud judgements. I think that whether or not I had something to sip or not on that day doesn't matter anymore. It probably wouldn't have made a difference if I wasn't drinking anything and even if it could, truth of the matter is that it didn't happen. I was sipping an orange juice and the pancake would've burnt anyway because I wasn't experienced enough to estimate the time for one side to cook. Besides that, the amount used was spread just too thin and the fire, too hot. In a nutshell, nothing would have prevented the pancake from burning. No point crying over spilt milk.
Yes, now we've established that it was a good choice that we decided to throw it away. No point crying over spilt milk. No point crying over burnt pancakes either. It doesn't matter if a part was still good. The other side was burnt, and it had to be thrown away. Unless you can invent a miracle burntpancake reversing magicbox, I doubt I'd eat that pancake. End of story.
Now to finally take out the trash.
P.s. Thankyou for ruining my night.
3 comments:
I like kuey teow goreng :PPPPPP
Gosh! You have no idea what an impact this post made on me. To be described in such (undeservedly) glowing terms ....
Btw, did you know that the word "quotidian" had been eluding me for the longest time? Pain ah! :)
Hi Alex,
I was just simply stating what I thought of your writings (and other scribes like you). Didn't expect you to see it! Anyway, I'm glad that it had an impact on you.
Keep up the good work!
p.s. I get that word-loss thing all the time. I find that the best way is to let it be, and the word would hit you in no time.
Post a Comment