10 minutes into our visit, it suddenly hit me.
I've seen this place before!
I THINK I came here during the 2006 family trip. Everything, from the guards, the palace buildings, ponds, elevated festival hall.. I've seen em' all before!
Well, I didn't mind another tour. This time around, we got a free English tour guide who brought us around the palace. 온돌 Ondol (korean traditional floor heating system), restoration works, the king's quarters, the first place in Korea to use electricity, folk museum, the royal chronicles... just a few things she mentioned.
![]() |
| Despite all the restoration that had already been done, there is still much more to do. Even that is an understatement, as the people in charge estimate the restoration works to be finally completed in 2030. |
![]() |
| Proceeded to Sindorim- a korean pedestrian street known for its art galleries, coffeeshops, souvenir stalls, STREET FOOD :P, and star-watching. |
![]() |
| Sweeeeet candy. Here's MinSun buying some 엿 (toffee) which was challenging to eat. It's so tough and sticky and YET, locals love it. Yes, I've observed that many a korean has a sweet tooth. |
![]() |
| 호떡. Ho-tteok. DE-licious korean street food. (Also sweet. AND oily too. Greasy goodness. Mmm..) |
After wandering about for a bit, we parked our cold asses in a nice, cosy coffee shop (It wasn't very spacious, but had 4 floors) where I had traditional berry tea (Again, SWEEET with an excess E for EXTRA). Chilled out and chatted for awhile: some politics, some history, some random stuff. At the same time, stuffed our mouths with those sweet toffees MinSun bought earlier. It was one of those moments of calm where everything slowed down for once. Rare, in the fast-paced korean racetrack of Seoul. I very much enjoyed it thanks to the dynamic duo of M and C.. whom- I forgot to mention earlier- incidentally got into a snow fight with each other that day.
Day ended with me having dinner with Hyochan (the other Hanyang Uni AIESEC EP) and a couple of other people at a so-called chinese restaurant. Surprised by Jasmine, who was sweet enough to give each of us new year cards :). Retired to bed and slept soundly despite the noise from the restaurant downstairs. zzz






No comments:
Post a Comment