Prelude

This blog is a depiction of my life's past, present and possibly, future- when I decide to invent a time machine.

Greetings to anyone who made the effort to visit(And of course, to those who stumbled into this page totally by chance). So for those who are here reading this, please turn a blind eye to the occasional over-cheesy post and the inevitable typo errors.

Have a nice day!
(Note: Refer to bottom of page for the "Korean Culture Shock-Heads up!" section where I jot down little oddities or just interesting facts about Korea, Seoul and its denizens)

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Of kirks, bens and lochs.

The pouring rain is reduced to a drizzle, and then it is no more. Before long, first rays of bright orange sunlight etches its way across the sky, framed on the edges by a number of snow-capped mountains. Fields of highland shrubs and the sheep that dot the countryside simply presents us with a wondrous spectacle of peace and beauty which far surpasses any human-made wonder or "art". This, my friends, is the Scottish highlands.


* Not very good pictures, but I assure you that a camera can only give you that much even if you're a professional.*
It overwhelms you. It consumes your emotions, and for that fraction of a second, transports you into the world that is worry-free and tranquil. 

Over the bedrocks, cutting through the shrub land towards its imminent destiny, is the steady flow of a rivulet. All streams are alike, they gush towards the end of their life following the path that's already carved out for them. Only once in awhile, you get a hard-headed flow, encouraged by factors of nature that pushes its way past convention and creates a path of its own.
Kinda reminds us of ourselves eh? How we allow the crowd to set the standards of normality for us. Just the other day, my housemate reminded me of how detached I was from the anime slash gaming world when I couldn't recognise characters from final fantasy100 :P. I don't have the vaguest idea about final fantasy and all the big-boobed chicks and kung fu-smashing moves of the anime/gaming world. All I know about it is that I've added (and temporarily deleted) some of their theme songs to my repertoire... but that was a long way back. All I'm trying to say here is that one should not judge a person and gape at him as if he's just lost an eyeball *wink* merely based on his ken in anime and games. (I'm not judging when I see that you don't know anything about politics.)

Winding it back to the trip...
Last week, my friends (Mr.M and wz) and I took the train up to Edinburgh. We met up with Yuan Dong (my primary school classmate) who was to be our tour guide for the day. It was kinda awkward for me as he just finished his exams that same morning, so yeah, it was a really nice thing that he did for us. :) 
Oh yeah, there's the small matter of missing TWO trains- I swear, we were a hair's breadth away from boarding them, as in we practically looked on helplessly as the doors closed before us. Refusing to dwell on that, I prefer to beat myself into (finally) comprehending the meaning of punctuality as the Brits do.


Other details:
  • I sampled a traditional Scottish delicacy that's called "haggis" which reminded me of "Niu nan mien" or "Cow innards noodles" (sounds better in mandarin, seriously).
  • Took a tour that brought us to the countryside the next day.
  • Boat ride on Loch Lomond where we spotted a nudist colony. Nothing to get excited about... no one was out in the open, mainly due to the weather i guess.
  • Visited the Stirling Castle which oversees the plains and hills where vital battles were once fought (for the Independence of Scotland, for Englands supremacy, for power and glory and all that nonsense that drive us to war).
  • Had a traditional Christmas dinner.. for lunch
  • Found out how the Scots are immensely proud of their Kilts (Wz n Mr.M were calling it "skirts" til our guide warned them of that infamous "Scottish greeting" if they continue the taunt(albeit unintentional).
Final note: Don't be an idiot to only realize when you're checking out of the hostel that they have a lounge with TV, computers, books and comfy sofas.
______________________________________________________
Beautiful song that tells the story of a prisoner- who's been sentenced to death- telling another of his plight. Our guide to the countryside played this song for us on the minivan.. and it just got me into the scottish spirit (if there's ever such a thing)

Loch Lomond

By yon bonnie banks and by yon bonnie braes,
Where the sun shines bright on Loch Lomond
Where me and my true love were ever wont to gae,
On the bonnie, bonnie banks o’ Loch Lomond.

O ye’ll tak’ the high road and I’ll tak’ the low road,
And I’ll be in Scotland afore ye.
But me and my true love will never meet again,
On the bonnie, bonnie banks o’ Loch Lomond.

‘Twas there that we parted in yon shady glen, 
On the steep, steep side o’ Ben Lomond. 
Where in deep purple hue, the hieland hills we view, 
And the moon comin’ out in the gloamin’.

The wee birdies sing and the wild flowers spring,
And in sunshine the waters are sleeping:
But the broken heart, it kens nae second spring again,
Tho’ the waefu’ may cease from their greeting.

*loch- lake
ben- mountain
kirk- church
Ye- you (pronounced "yii" :P)


-Next stop, GREECE! :D-

1 comment:

Cass said...

DOODE greece?!?!?! I hate you. I wanted to go there so bad but didn't have enough time. LAME.

also whatever the brits say about their trains and punctuality it's a lie. Some trains leave early. Take our Murphy's Law trip to the stonehenge, we missed... 3 trains. They all left a few mins early. Then when i told one of the conductors about it he said, in the most condenscending girls are stupid manner, "oh flower, our trains are always on time, never early never late." and then all our trains back were late by 30 mins. just sayin.