Well, in a short span of 2 days, I met more than 1 person who gave me that feeling. I guess there are just too many people in the world right now that meeting a doppelganger can be unavoidable. (note: doppelganger=lookalike) Since we're on the topic of explaining words, I had some devastating news for myself: I've LOST my vocab notebook.
To really understand the magnitude of this problem, no, this DISASTER, you've gotta go back to 2006 when I founded the blue notebook to improve my vocabulary. The way it works is that when I come across an interesting unknown word, I'll jot it down together with its definition and- when I'm not too lazy- an example of its application. The same goes for those attractive, awesome and/or meaningful string of sentences that gives you that "WoW" response when you read them.
So yeah, it's GONE now. Like my toy soldier back in kindy, or that workbook in primary that went *POOF*, resulting in pretty harsh lashings from the teacher (I wasn't lying when I said I lost my homework OK!). Then again, the rotan wasn't a stranger to me. Let's just say that when I was in Primary school, my palm and the stick were friends (not best friends, but not JUST a passing acquaintance either).
So hopefully, the important blue book will manifest itself soon.
_______________________________________
On a side note, the weekend was spent attending the 3rd Annual Malaysian Student Leaders Summit at Nikko Hotel. Thanks to Guo shen, I got to park at his place right across the street on both mornings to avoid the wallet-murder parking rate at the hotel. Notably, I missed quite a number of speakers whom I really wanted to see in person. One of them was of course, Tun Dr. Mahathir, our former PM. From what I've garnered from the participants, the talk was a letdown due to the lack of his usual fiery and compelling tone. Nonetheless, ask anyone in Malaysia who's above 25 and they'll tell you how his oratory skills used to keep audiences hooked and under his spell. Too bad I missed it. Even a below-par talk by the old man (who looks younger for his age I must admit) would be satisfactory for yours truly. It wasn't meant to be though.. maybe next time.
The reason for my absence during a big chunk of the 1st day was because of the Leeds predeparture talk at their office at Menara Weld in which we- the Malaysian and Singaporean Society- had a slot to present a short introductory clip. Finally met up with part of the committee. Heard Weiwei broke his arm. Need to confirm. (Confirmed, he broke it in an armwrestling match with his bro.. way to go.). ANYWAY, the place was packed by 3.30. Even as the talk was underway, families continued to trickle into the cramped office (sanitizing and registering before entering, of course). After the presentations, Eilien, the MASSoc and LUMSoc people were bombarded with questions ranging from "Do I have to bring a duvet?" to "Do you think the bus or train is better?". Met some cool people at the 2nd day of the Summit. Certainly made my day when Khairy and Tian Chua started to jab at one another, each jab with more intent than the last. It got even better during the QandA session. "WHere is the consistency YB Khairy? I want to know your stand!". Then came the media frenzy with Dr Koh, ex-CM of Penang when he made his way into the hall.
At this point, I was pretty sleepy and was nodding myself to sleep while the speakers talked about the legal aspects of unity and whatnot.
Come the next MSLS, hopefully I'll be able to attend and listen to some good presentations. Some bigger names too perhaps. (Unlike this year, when invited guests such as the Selangor Sultan, PM AND DPM did not turn up).
No comments:
Post a Comment