Prelude

This blog is a depiction of my life's past, present and possibly, future- when I decide to invent a time machine.

Greetings to anyone who made the effort to visit(And of course, to those who stumbled into this page totally by chance). So for those who are here reading this, please turn a blind eye to the occasional over-cheesy post and the inevitable typo errors.

Have a nice day!
(Note: Refer to bottom of page for the "Korean Culture Shock-Heads up!" section where I jot down little oddities or just interesting facts about Korea, Seoul and its denizens)

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Happenings: April 2011

Came home and crashed into what was supposed to be a 15 minute nap before hitting the gym. It wasn't to be though.


Updates:


Again, the struggle to keep to a plan seems to have been sidetracked in favor of short-sighted occupations. The gym session, postponed to stave off collapse due to the previous night's entertainment(read: Karaoke)+booze session with colleagues.
The uncooked food, still sitting (and closing in on their expiry dates).
The screwed up body clock, it remains pretty much as messed up as before.
The work satisfaction, practically scraping the cold, hard bottom in this valley of desperate interns.
The dating front, a seemingly impenetrable brick wall. It is as though the counter's stuck in binary. It just wouldn't go pass date 1.
Ok, 'nuf complaints.


Others:
Been addicted to Q.I. lately. Finally caught up, right til Series G.
For those who have no clue what I'm yappin' about, Q.I. stands for Quite Interesting. Hosted by Stephen Fry, it is really, as its title suggests, quite interesting. One of the main pulls of the show is that it challenges many long-held beliefs and "facts" long accepted as gospel truths. It tries to correct our perception, or rather, misperceptions in almost every aspect of our daily life.  Like how there's no such thing as different sections of the tongues that are responsible for a specific taste, or that all Europeans today are likely to be related to king Charlemagne, or that Napoleon Bonaparte wasn't short at all. Basically- boring facts are introduced into our world of thought via 4 panelists, usually made up of comedians (and not discounting Mr. Fry's contribution). Throw Jimmy Carr, Rob Brydon and gang into the mix, and the result is this funnybone-tickling enterntainment of a show.


Speaking of changing perceptions, I have come to regretfully accept.. that my stomach is no black hole and yes, I am putting on weight.


"That's only normal you idiot!", you say.
Well, well, you've gotta 1st understand that I've come a long way from the other side of the divide. Back then, it used to be all this pressure to GAIN weight. I could see where they were coming from though, because I was frankly speaking, a stick.
It's hard to change that mentality that's beaten into the back of one's head for so long before and during adolescence. Time and time again, you come to realize that it's no coincidence and that you have this superpower, this knack of attracting scathing comments from visiting uncles and aunties "Oh, you've got to eat more lah!", "Why you so skinny one? Can "play guitar" with your rib bones!". Then there was the failed "Appeton" supplement plan too, which was followed by many of the like.


In the end, everything amazingly fell into place quite naturally. Everyone was happy. And best of it all was: silence on the nosy aunties and uncles front (yes, of course I know they meant well).
For awhile, the perception prevailed that there's no harm in eating as much as possible. In fact, the more the better! Finish your plate and get more helpings! Good metabolism or some force of nature managed to keep me in the "normal" category. It was always "DONG! Stop EATING!". "Dong, don't even THINK about stealing my chocolates!".


That's all changed.
It is no doubt that now, the exact opposite is emerging to be the trend. It doesn't take an idiot to come to the conclusion that a BALANCE is needed.
As the "Determination of obesity machine" (or the D.O.O.M. teller as I would call it) told me in pretty and colourful report, there's work to be done.
To that, I bid my final farewell to the good days of guilt-free food binging.


Hello calorie count.

No comments: