Observing politics in Malaysia has become a very depressing business nowadays.
1st, you have to deal with the opposition's ineptness in answering questions or making announcements, usually resulting in the MSM (Mainstream media) mauling them by utilizing their own words (or misquoting them, whichever is convenient).
1st, you have to deal with the opposition's ineptness in answering questions or making announcements, usually resulting in the MSM (Mainstream media) mauling them by utilizing their own words (or misquoting them, whichever is convenient).
Then there's the brick wall that's as thick as the skin of [insert any asshole's name you know]'s face. The wall refers to that undying blockade in Malaysians' minds regarding the simplest of issues. It seems that we just aren't able to cross that invisible line fringing the borders.. Borders that draw the line between a matured, civilized society and one that is still lingering on past doubts. THIS deprives us from the essential meaning of Unity.
If you're an observant political blog-hopper, I bet you've come across RPK's post about the difference between the people in the US and the people here. If you do not have an inkling of what I'm saying, don't fret, as it just proves that you're normal (unlike someone who has nothing better to do here).
What was said goes along the lines of "the people of the US and the people in Malaysia are racists... the only difference is that they aren't hypocrites like us; they don't bother to hide it". What it SAYS is that we're all racial bastards(and bitches).
As much as I admire that particular viewpoint's creativity, I do not fully agree with it. What is present in that point of view are bits of pieces of truth. One big chunk of it remains in murky grey areas where I myself wish to explore in the future.
Unity, I suppose, differs in the mind of the nationwide populace. Does it mean that we are "at it" when the top politicians are representing each major group of people? Does UNITY mean the unknowing familiarity and understanding we share for each other?
Does tolerance in the most forced sort of way count?
I think the day we achieve Unity is the day we satisfy the benchmark of being able to sit together over a cup of teh tarik and share a common vision (without the insufferable background checks).
To achieve that, barriers have to be torn down. Old mindsets have to be altered.
I have no idea how we're going to do that. (yeah, that's how much faith I have in 'us')
At least there are still those who know the way.. lighting the path with a dim flickering torch.
On my thoughts of his(RPK's) posts:
Well, he gives me the impression of one who is blunt and brave and perhaps a tad too reckless. He can be witty, fiercely sarcastic and strong in his messages. I must admit though that I only take some of his more radical posts with a grain of salt. But then again... it makes you ponder on the possibilities. Heck, for all the filtered feeds we get, he might just be right.
Just a little piece of pie I thought I'd share.
If you're an observant political blog-hopper, I bet you've come across RPK's post about the difference between the people in the US and the people here. If you do not have an inkling of what I'm saying, don't fret, as it just proves that you're normal (unlike someone who has nothing better to do here).
What was said goes along the lines of "the people of the US and the people in Malaysia are racists... the only difference is that they aren't hypocrites like us; they don't bother to hide it". What it SAYS is that we're all racial bastards(and bitches).
As much as I admire that particular viewpoint's creativity, I do not fully agree with it. What is present in that point of view are bits of pieces of truth. One big chunk of it remains in murky grey areas where I myself wish to explore in the future.
Unity, I suppose, differs in the mind of the nationwide populace. Does it mean that we are "at it" when the top politicians are representing each major group of people? Does UNITY mean the unknowing familiarity and understanding we share for each other?
Does tolerance in the most forced sort of way count?
I think the day we achieve Unity is the day we satisfy the benchmark of being able to sit together over a cup of teh tarik and share a common vision (without the insufferable background checks).
To achieve that, barriers have to be torn down. Old mindsets have to be altered.
I have no idea how we're going to do that. (yeah, that's how much faith I have in 'us')
At least there are still those who know the way.. lighting the path with a dim flickering torch.
On my thoughts of his(RPK's) posts:
Well, he gives me the impression of one who is blunt and brave and perhaps a tad too reckless. He can be witty, fiercely sarcastic and strong in his messages. I must admit though that I only take some of his more radical posts with a grain of salt. But then again... it makes you ponder on the possibilities. Heck, for all the filtered feeds we get, he might just be right.
Just a little piece of pie I thought I'd share.
1 comment:
my cousin's deep in thought @@
Post a Comment