Prelude

This blog is a depiction of my life's past, present and possibly, future- when I decide to invent a time machine.

Greetings to anyone who made the effort to visit(And of course, to those who stumbled into this page totally by chance). So for those who are here reading this, please turn a blind eye to the occasional over-cheesy post and the inevitable typo errors.

Have a nice day!
(Note: Refer to bottom of page for the "Korean Culture Shock-Heads up!" section where I jot down little oddities or just interesting facts about Korea, Seoul and its denizens)

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Qw goes environmental

I had one hell of a dream last night. It held in view humankind- at its worst. Insanity was apparent everywhere. People were killing each other and the world was falling apart around me while I tried to focus on my destination (although I really can't remember what or where it was). People were shooting each other as society descended into full-fledged anarchy.

Hmm.. I wonder if reading a story that goes along the lines of "nuclear warfare-induced chaos with the end of the line in sight for us humans" has something to do with it?

"Hey, I'd give a penny for my own thoughts, would you?" [typo error here fixed :P]

Despite ongoing action taken to save our world, the picture that is our future still remains grim. Efforts from the powers that be are feeble at best. I don't know much about the EXACT danger of us ruining the earth within decades, or how much people are exaggerating global warming (If at all, it's exaggerated). Honestly, I believe the people that are mouthing "GLOBAL WARMING is REAL" everyday. Why?? Because it's more palpable and most of all, it makes sense. Look at the way we're dealing with our waste, look at dwindling of our forests on your way back to your Kampung, look at the change in weather patterns, look at our soaring temperatures... I actually feel ashamed that after reading G.W. naysayers' columns/comments, I thought, for some time, that they might be telling the truth. 

You don't go around walking under the sun only to find out that you're getting skin cancer in the 1950s now, do you?

In our local scene, the recently announced budge 08/09 looks pretty glossy on the cover, what with all the goodies especially in the going green aspect for transportation. Public transportation has to be improved, yes. What about the cars?? My Environmental Engineering lecturer has this habit of playing this mantra of saving the environment day in, day out, (for obvious reasons). I remember him telling us about the laughable effort of our Proton in announcing (somewhere in May or June) that they will start development on a more fuel-efficient car. 

"What BULL, if the government knows better, they'd start by stopping foolish, useless projects like THESE and start pulling together a good plan in order to develop our own alternative-energy powered car! *sigh* the only hope for us lies with the Japanese as they are the best in Asia in terms of technology and manufacturing strength. THey are the ones we can hope for to start rolling electric cars off the belts like how China is doing with toys. (80% of the childhood toys in my store room has "Made in China" behind it) Why not the US, you may ask? Of course they have the technology, but why aren't they mass producing? Well, only because their political leaders rely too heavily on oil companies for funding and they can't afford to tread on the wrong foot."

I have to admit that this isn't a very accurate quote of my lecturer.. and the main points do present itself rather more rough and uncompromising than what I remember. Still, what matters is that the important points are there.

Now, though, we have a glimmer of hope. Or do we?

They are saying that incentives will be given to foreign car companies to import electric cars until we can produce our own. And just yesterday, I read from the news that affordable electric cars are going to be rolling out in a couple of years time. I confess that I find this a little hard to believe. Some say that the government are just giving sweet candy talk to appease the people.

Well I say, optimistically speaking, who cares what motive the government hides behind the curtains? As long as they deliver the goods and start giving us affordable electric cars soon, I don't. ;)

No comments: