Got caught in a little celebrity crush lately. Bad timing, seriously.
You know that something's gone amiss when you are supposed to sit for an exam paper less than 24 hours away and there is still time for leisure reading. Not just ANY leisure reading, but one which involves perusal of articles worth 3-google search pages of links, dug out from the depths of our well of internet archives.
______________________
The paper today went alright, although it could have been better. I am, of course, lying through my teeth. A white lie (the one that's- forgivably- morally less wrong, whatever that means). One which is hatched from the argument that telling people about how well or bad the exam's gone would jinx the result.
Yes, you read it right. JINX.
I am pretty confident that my mental capabilities have not dwindled to the very measurable size of a pea, nor has it splatted itself flat and far beyond the realms of our humanly limits. Yet, you've just read that I believe that speaking the truth about the exams will "magically" alter the course of exam evaluations and marking by the high standards of our university's esteemed professors. (Personally, I can picture them having a chat with their spouse on the mobile while marking the paper of an unfortunate student, "... the letters are in the 2nd drawer darling, OH, and don't forget my toothbrush while you're there. OUCH*"... and spilling coffee all over the sheets of answer paper).
Of course I don't believe in taboo and all that nonsense. Not within the four walls of a lecture hall, I don't. The reason for what appears to be blatant superstitious actions on my behalf lies in the fact that I believe it is best just to give a non-definitive answer. An answer which will not put unnecessary pressure on you to get a good result from water that has already flowed under the bridge. It's done! You've already sat for the paper. No matter what answer you give your parents, your coursemate, your dog, your plant, it won't change a thing. So instead of lifting the hopes of mama and papa or opening yourself to that deploring "pity-look" from your mate, the option of saying "It went alright I guess" would do the trick for me.
OR..
..you could just tell the truth and live with the self-pressuring; but what can I say, old habits die hard.
No comments:
Post a Comment