Prelude

This blog is a depiction of my life's past, present and possibly, future- when I decide to invent a time machine.

Greetings to anyone who made the effort to visit(And of course, to those who stumbled into this page totally by chance). So for those who are here reading this, please turn a blind eye to the occasional over-cheesy post and the inevitable typo errors.

Have a nice day!
(Note: Refer to bottom of page for the "Korean Culture Shock-Heads up!" section where I jot down little oddities or just interesting facts about Korea, Seoul and its denizens)

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Memories of Leeds 09/10 (with Glasgow Part 2) Sept + Oct1 2009

This is a series of posts to recap the academic year that was 2009/2010. Within it are also unfinished posts (such as the Glasgow trip) and also random things we do as students at the University of Leeds.


Sept:
Busy, busy times dealing with the International Student office as a Meet and Greet assistant (Bus assistant) where I was part of the team which comprised the likes of enthusiastic local UK and international students such as Jerm, BigHannah, Mr Alcohol (:P) plus many other lovely ISO peeps from all over the world. It was also a month when Neil crashed at our place. Loads of fun working with these people. Went on a short rambling trip in Ilkley earlier sometime in November too (and rewarded ourselves with tasty grub in the form of Sunday Roasts!). Only wish I could see them sometime in the future although it seems quite unlikely :S. 
As for the experience of working as a M&G assistant and helping the countless international students, it's something I wouldn't trade off despite the hard work and occasional late shifts. 
Checklist:
  • Address over 200 international students in the hall and introducing an ice-breaking game called Human Bingo to them, Check!
  • Be one of those guys you see at the airports with placards at the arrival gates, only mine was written "University of Leeds" in bold. Check!
  • Waited almost 3 hours with nothing to do in a small, empty domestic airport. Holding on to the arrival list and reading my book wasn't too tough, but it was the boredom that set in after I finished my reading material. There's a vague memory of a cute cafe waitress, although I can't be sure if it's not just my overactive imagination playing tricks on me. Check!
  • Help direct a mini bus and gave "the speech" over and over again. The speech: Welcome talk to the new arrivals in the bus about where to get basic necessities, where to find help be it financial, accommodation, registration or orientation week activities -related. Met people from Australia, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Kyrgyzstan (I THINK), China, India, Malaysia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, USA, Canada, Kenya.... (list goes on .. but to be honest, I can't remember the rest). Check!
  • Wore the trademark GREEN T-shirt. Too bad we had to return it. :( Check
Note: As I'm posting these w/o consent, if anyone wants any photos taken down, please do not hesitate to drop me a note :P. 
Pub outing in Leeds- early semester
Vlad and Heather at their best. 
At the beginning of the climb. Mostly ISO ppl. (From left- can't remember the guy in front.. :S- Vlad, Nat, Dan, Myself, Kate, Doris, Miriam, Paweena, Neil aka Mr Alco ;), Oana and Heather)
Posing with some rocks in Ilkley.


Thumbsup to walking and getting soaked under the rain
Reward after a long walk.
Empty plates and satisfied tummies.
Post-demolition of Sunday Roasts
Oct:
Start of the new semester beckoned a hectic schedule for the Malaysian and Singaporean society as we struggled a little with organization. Meet-ups with random people were aplenty. 
Sohpie and Liz


Food for thought: Cooking rice with a pot. HUH? :P. Yes, don't be surprised just because some people have not heard of  rice-cookers. Many in Europe might not have even seen a rice cooker. Hmm.


Also, due to my lack of enthusiasm (euphemism for being lazy), I have not completed my Glasgow post 2 as a continuation of Glasgow Part 1. So here are some photos and their captions as part of "Glasgow Part 2 of 2":

Huge banner suggesting that men did not all stand back to watch as women fought for their suffrage in Scotland. The right to vote for all women over 21 was fully granted and made into British law in 1928. (It was later extended to everyone above 18, *EHEM, Malaysian Government take note.)

The front entrance to People's Palace and Winter Garden (Glasgow)

The largest terracotta fountain in the world- the Doulton Fountain, which commemorates Queen Victoria's reign.

One of the 4 "faces" of the fountain, each with a representation of 4 of Britannia's most prized colonies: South Africa (inset), Canada, Australia, India. This is capped off, literally, by Queen Victoria herself at the top, standing proudly above her empire. Oh, and I did a little editing to give an "old
feel" to it.

The attention to detail on the fountain made it an attraction on its own, despite being placed like an accessory to the large and bulky People's Palace. 


Nelson's Monument looks like a small needle in the background here.

A cute cafe built inside a compound which is, I believe, a flea market.

Nothin like a pick-me-up to keep me going.

Entrance to the cafe/flea market
Glasgow Necropolis: I decided to climb up a hill in the labyrinth of tombstones and the view was good. It would've been better if it wasn't for the overcast weather. Luckily, the sun shone bright at times. And I got this picture as it began to set :).

Creepy view of the city with tombstones in the foreground.

A little history of early settlements in Glasgow, courtesy of St Mungo's Museum of Religious Life and Art (I THINK*).




Rail Station where we arrived.


Nothing like a Malaysian dinner to keep our mouths shut for the next 20 minutes. This was Rumours Kopitiam, Glasgow. :) Definitely recommended. Although, your wallets might hurt at the end of it.





Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. It looked impressive BUT we didn't have time to linger.  There was even a Dr. Who exhibition at the time of visit.
Museum of transportation
Just thought anyone from Canada might be interested :P.


Rumored to be the place where some HP sequences were filmed.


University of Glasgow. Stunning. This picture doesn't do it justice!


On our way back to the train station. Busy Glasgow street on a weekend. I was travelling alone on the 2nd day because the rest of my travelling companions decided to go for a tour of the highlands (which I've already done in 2008). 




This picture was taken on the night of our arrival, at a pub where we had dinner. YiShan was our host for the weekend and much thanks to her for providing us with entertainment in the form of Paranormal Activities in her bedroom (which still gives me shivers) as well as being our guide when she wasn't tangled in paintball =). 


TBC... with Oct2 and Nov 2009

No comments: